As per Section 31(1) of FSS Act, 2006 every Food Business Operator in the country is required to be registered/licensed under the Food Safety & standards Authority of India. The licensing and registration procedure and requirements are regulated by Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of food Business) Regulations, 2011. As on 26th October 2017, 34665 Central licenses, 8,02,571 State Licenses and 30,42,922 State Registrations have been issued.
FLRS (Food Licensing and Registration system) is an online system launched by FSSAI to facilitate FBO in India to apply for License/ Registration certificate and can track their applications during the course of processing. 35 States/UTs have been issuing License/ Registration certificate online. All Central Licenses are issued online pan India through FLRS system with minimum documentation. The system has reduced the need for physical interaction between applicants and Licensing Authorities.
All the manufacturers, traders, restaurants who are involved in food business must obtain a 14-digit registration or a license number which must be printed on food packages as well as displayed on the prominent place.
1) Petty Manufactures, seller retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or temporary stall holder.
2) Small food businesses with an annual turnover not exceeding Rs 12 lakhs .
3) Production capacity of food not exceeding 100 kg/ltr per day.
4) Procurement or handling and collection of milk up to 500 litres of milk per day
5) Slaughtering capacity of 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
1) Dairy units with more than 50,000 litres of liquid milk/day or 2500 MT of milk sold per annum.
2) Vegetable oil processing/ production units having installed capacity more than 2 MT per day.
3) All slaughter houses equipped to slaughter more than 50 large animals/ 150 small animals/ 1000 or more poultry birds per day.
4) Meat processing units equipped to handle or process more than 500 kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.
5) All food processing units having installed capacity more than 2 MT/day except grains, cereals and pulses milling units.
6) 100 % Export Oriented Units.
7) All Importers importing food items including food ingredients and additives for commercial use.
8) All food business operators manufacturing/ processing/ importing any proprietary food for which NOC has been given by FSSAI.
9) Registered/ Head office of FBOs operating in two or more states.
10) Food catering services in establishments and units under Central government Agencies like Railways, Airport, Seaport, Defence etc.
11) Hotels with 5 Star and above accreditation.
1) All FBOs other than those eligible for Registration/Central License.
2) All grains, cereals and pulses milling units.